I have been vegetarian for almost a year now and whilst being veggie I have also attempted a vegan or plant based diet. As of now I still follow a full vegetarian diet, eating little products that contain dairy and egg. I do believe that everyone should follow whatever diet they please, but since being veggie I have seen/had a lot of comments like ''How do you do it?" or "What do people on that diet even eat?" so I wanted to show how easy it is to follow and since my 'Getting Into Shape' post is one of my most viewed, I thought I'd do another what I eat in a day type post.
Breakfast ❀
Almost everyday for the past two weeks I have had a green smoothie for breakfast and they are so tasty. There's obviously loads of ingredients you can use to make these but this is what I use in mine:
Ingredients
100ml Water
1/2 Banana
1/2 Green Apple
2 Strawberries
1/2 Celery Stick
1/2 Avocado
Spinach
Kale
1 tbsp Chia Seeds
1 tsp Matcha Tea
I usually use one banana but as I was making two smoothies I didn't want to use two full bananas. I use a Nutribullet which is an amazing blender and you can blend everything together at once. My old blender wasn't as good so if you're struggling it works well to blend the leaves and liquid first and then add everything else.
Chia seeds are extremely healthy and packed with nutrients. They contain a relatively good amount of protein so it's one good alternative source of protein for myself as opposed to chicken or beef. These little beauties can also be added to salads or yoghurts if you're not a smoothie person. A small study has also found that chia seeds can improve exercise performance on an equal level to a sports drink. Basically, these are a great addition to a morning smoothie and are great for your body.
Matcha green tea is a new discovery (thanks Mum) and I love to add three or four spatulas (about equal to 1 tbsp) to my smoothie. Benefits include it's high quantity of antioxidants, it boosts your metabolism and burns calories, lowers cholesterol and many more. Plus it's green.
It's so important that you include the avocado in this because above anything else, it makes your smoothie so (soooooo) silky. You don't need to use kale and spinach but I really like to use both as it just packs it full of veggies. Also if you hate celery like me don't worry, you can't taste it at all.
Lunch ❀
I'm not a huge lunch fan as I never really get too hungry at this time so something like soup or a bagel always goes down really well. One thing I love are the Glorious skinny soups and this one in particular is so good.
Once again packed with lots of healthy ingredients, the Vietnamese Supergeen soup is so yummy and don't let the fact that it's green put you off. Half a tub of this isn't enough alone to fill me up so I had it with two buckwheat rice cakes which are really low calorie, low fat and a good alternative to bread.
As I am currently trying to be healthy I like to keep a bottle of water on me at all times and make sure I drink at least a couple litres a day, more on days when I work out. I really love the size of these Fiji 1L bottles as they're easy to carry around and aren't too big considering they're a litre.
Snacks ❀
I think people can take snacking way too seriously on a diet, sticking to three meals and avoiding snacks completely but I think letting yourself go hungry is much worse. Snacking is fine as long as it's healthy snacks and there are so many good healthy vegetarian/vegan snacks out there.
I am obsessed with Trek bars, especially the oat flapjack and cocoa flapjack. These are packed with protein so again, another great way for me to get protein into my body. I also really like the berry Nakd bars which are one of your five a day and both of these are vegan yet taste so good. If you're trying to be healthy then these are a really good way of filling yourself up instead of having a bag of crisps or a chocolate bar or even a normal flapjack.
I have also recently (as in today) discovered these which I am so excited to try.
Dinner ❀
There are so many meals out there which you can easily make vegetarian. Chili can become quorn chili, chicken fajitas can become vegetable fajitas, just about anything can be adapted to fit a vegetarian diet. For dinner tonight I had these Cauldron Cumberland sausages and you really can't deny that they look pretty much the same as normal sausages.
In fact when my Mum cooked me these for the first time I actually accused her of giving me meat because they look and taste pretty much the same as sausages, with one little difference. Sausages are obviously not the healthiest meat. One report actually found that 50g of processed meat a day causes an 18% increase in the chance of developing colorectal cancer. Not to mention they are absolutely full of fat. I'm not saying never eat sausage or bacon again, I'm just saying that there are healthy alternatives out there. There are 75 calories in one of these sausages, low in fat and extremely low in sat fat. Pair these with a plate of vegetables and you've got a nice, healthy dinner. Oh, and these are high in protein so please don't think/say that vegetarians get no protein.
So this hasn't shown you much, but it's given a little insight to what someone can eat on a vegetarian diet and how there are lots of easy ways of cutting down on meat if you're trying to be healthier. Again, I am not trying to change the way you eat or say it's wrong but it can be frustrating when people tell me I can't eat anything good. Because clearly, I can.
If you're thinking of changing up your diet and trying to go veggie but aren't sure what you'll be able to eat or if it will be very difficult then feel free to drop me an email at jessicatate23@gmail.com or ask me on any of my social medias which are all there on my homepage.
Love Jess ♡










No comments
Post a Comment